Saturday, May 8, 2010

Burros at Shiloh Horse Rescue~Camera Critters and Sunday Stills Challenge 050910
















I know this isn't about Ripley. Believe me, she can't stand still long enough for me to get a non-blurry photo of her! Little bugger! Are all black labs so energetic? There was one night this past week that she jumped up on our bed (she usually sleeps on the floor right next to where I am on the bed) and curled up next to me and slept there all night. Of course, I couldn't turn over!!! But, I digress...anyway, Shiloh isn't JUST a horse rescue. There are assorted burros, pigs, a llama, an alpaca, and lots of dogs. Oh, and a brand new litter of kittens! These are some of Shiloh's BURROS. They lined up at the hospitality center gate, awaiting their BREAKFAST!

12 comments:

  1. Great photos, second photo with the horse looks fun...the alpacas remind me of my husband, he wants that to be his pet lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful series about a very important place! Happy critter day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and informative. I bet this place does alot of good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the burros waiting for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think donkeys and burros are so cute, but stubborn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are wonderful. I'm very glad that there are places like Shiloh Horse Rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise, there are over 100 horses at Shiloh. Most of them are rescues, but a few belong to boarders and some to Jill Curtis, who runs Shiloh. It is absolutely amazing the amount of positive energy there! Busy, busy, busy! LOTS going on...lots of animals, too! If you ever get a chance, GO THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gail, yes a lot of good DOES go on there! Sometimes old and wounded horses are rescued, only to pass their final days at Shiloh, in the company of people who LOVE THEM! Imagine that!!! I was attached to a thoroughbred, Arson, who actually raced 49 times, but, during the fires here in Southern California, was injured and sent to one of the feedlots for slaughter. It seems he stepped on something burning, injured his foot, and that was the end of his usefulness. Shiloh rescued him and kept him and had their vet come out and tried to nurse him back to health. Unfortunately, his other leg couldn't bear his weight (like Barbaro) and he was laid to rest just this spring. I cried and cried and cried. I actually met "Arson" and he was a lovely, calm, friendly horse. But, at least he was spared the horror of slaughter. Could you imagine him on a truck, going to slaughter? He would have fallen and have been trampled. WHO would wish that on any horse? I respect them (Shiloh) for what they do. Unfortunately there are SO MANY horses that need rescuing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shiloh sounds like a wonderful place caring for horses! These photos are delightful! Especially love the second last one of the patient burro!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These burrows are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos for the letter B on Sunday Stills!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a great place, those Burros are pretty cute:)

    ReplyDelete